Mothers' Instincts/Drive

This forum is for us to share victories we've had and losses we've learned from.

Mothers' Instincts/Drive

Postby Daddy Squirrel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 pm

I went on a call this evening about an injured squirrel. When I arrived, I found her at the base of a tree. Her back was broken just below the shoulder blades. I took her to the emergency clinic, the doctor confirmed, and then I had her euthanized. She was a nursing mother, and the vet said she had most likely been hit by a car. The nearest road from where I found her is sixty feet or so, so she dragged herself with her front paws that sixty feet. I've been on other calls like this. A couple of years ago, it was almost the exact same scenario, except the mom was dead at the base of a tree after being hit by a car many feet away. One baby, about three weeks old and hungry, had fallen out of the nest (why I got the call two days after the mother was found), and when I arrived, the second baby was hanging on twigs some twenty or more feet up in the tree, fifteen or so feet away from the nest. Fortunately, I was able to get her down, raise both to release, but it is so terribly touching to me what these mothers will endure to get back to their babies. I will go back in the morning and try to find them and raise them for her.
Jack D. Gill
Florida Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
Daddy Squirrel

Re: Mothers' Instincts/Drive

Postby Daddy Squirrel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Sadly, i couldn't find the nest or babies. :(
Jack D. Gill
Daddy Squirrel

Postby Sdeegz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:31 pm

After reading these posts I couldn't not comment. I have always told people that I thought Squirrels were the most committed mothers I've seen. Years ago our neighbors across the street had a nest of babies in their chimney that they had removed. The mother took off in a flash and they were concerned with her coming back. I assured them she would, but they knew where to find me if she didn't.
I advised them to put the babies in a box on the shady side of the house right next to the chimney. My husband and I sat on the front porch and supervised while the neighbors kept an eye out from their back porch that they were cleaning up from a grad party the night before. Every once in a while my neighbor would walk across the street, concerned she hadn't seen any sign of the mother. During one visit she mentioned all of the napkins and a roll of paper towels were missing.
About a 1/2 hr later my husband and I noticed "white things" drifting down from the tree from their next door neighbors large Maple tree. 15 minutes later we watched the mother come down the tree, go over the chain link fence that separated the yards, go into the box and grab a baby - push it through the chain link fence, run over the top, pick it up and run it up the tree. She did this 4 times for all 4 babies.
We waited a little bit and walked over to the base of the tree where we found the cardboard insert from a roll of paper towels and 1/2 of a graduation napkin.
Awesome!!!
Sue Deegan
New Milford, CT
Licensed Wildlife Rehabber
Former (long time) Vet Tech
Sdeegz

Postby Daddy Squirrel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:23 am

Great story, Sue! I love it when a reunite is successful!
Jack D. Gill
Daddy Squirrel

Postby Sdeegz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks Jack, I love telling people that story. Had a feeling it would be appreciated here.
Have a good day,
Sue
Sue Deegan
New Milford, CT
Licensed Wildlife Rehabber
Former (long time) Vet Tech
Sdeegz

Return to Joys and Sorrows